If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Friday, October 28, 2011

2011: Post 49 – Getting near the end of my Disko build

Continued from Post 47…

This week I did some more lashing, dealt with the cockpit coaming, and decided where the deck rigging would go....

I glued in some little plywood seats to keep the back deck stringers level and then lashed them to the frames...


I lashed the foredeck stringers to the frames...


I sanded and then epoxied the cockpit coaming to the frames... and added plywood backer plates to the locations where I will pre-drill for the deck lines...


I lashed the bow stringers to the plywood stem...


...then lashed the stern stringers to the plywood stem...


Can't explain why but I just felt better for having lashed the stringers to the stems.  If the epoxy lets go (although it should not) the lashing will hold things in place...

I added an additional cross-member to reduce the bit of springiness in the gunwales in the bow.  Probably not required, but can't hurt either...



I also added bungee to hold the floor boards in place.  This allows me to take the floor boards out anytime I need to, such as to clean out dirt below the floor...



I think this system may work, but we will see.  I did crack one of the floor board spacers and had to re-glue it.  I was sitting in the frame, trying it for fit once I had epoxied the coaming in place.  While getting out I put most of my weight on one foot while pushing off the floor board and the wood split at the spacer.  The glue (Gorilla glue) did no fail, but only the wood.  When I looked at it i realized the grains in the spacers are vertical.  If the grains were horizontal I do not think it would have cracked.  I will just have to be careful not to stand on the floor boards when getting in and out...

Not a whole lot left to do before skinning.... I need to sand off the floor boards, drill the holes for the deck lines, trim off the excess plywood stems so the bottom is is flush with the bottom of the keel, and then put a couple coats of Danish Oil on the frame.  Perhaps by next weekend it will be ready for the polyester skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment