If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

2013: Post 25 – This year's first club paddle?

Actually, I am not sure if the paddle today was the first club paddle, or if the one at the annual spring retreat is considered the first club paddle.  Regardless, there were 15 kayaks and 16 people; a decent turn out for the first club paddle after the spring retreat.

The club paddle was to be from Old Shop, into Spread Eagle Bay, then onward to Green Island in Chapel Arm and then back.  But Tony and I decided we would add a few extra kilometers and so we headed down the highway a little bit early and put in at South Dildo...




We paddled three and a half kilometers along the shore until we arrived at the slipway where the rest of the group were getting ready...


After a while everyone was ready to go and we got underway...





There were a few lobster traps (generally called lobster 'pots') out and so I just stuck the camera in the water and hoped to get a good pic. It turned out pretty well...


Am I mistaken if I say there are lobster in this pot??










I was glad when we finally arrived at Green Island... I was starting to get a little hungry...

Some of us climbed up above the beach and sat in the trees out of the cool breeze to have our lunch...



Then it was time to get back into the kayaks... 


Instead of retracing our route into Spread Eagle Bay, we decided to cross from Southern Point to Dildo Island for a brief stop and a little look around...





Once back on the water we headed back into Dildo Arm and back to Old Shop...




Tony and I continued on our way past Old Shop once most of the others were back on shore...


When we arrived back at South Dildo we took a little swim in the fresh water to rinse the salty water off of our drysuits...


I took one more picture looking back toward Dildo Island...


I don't make it to all the club paddles during the summer months, but I have to admit I do enjoy the relaxed pace of club paddles now and then.

Thanks to our fearless leader, Hazen, for leading today's paddle.  And thanks to everyone who came out.  It was a very good day on the water, despite the overcast skies, the bit of rain, and the chill in the air.

Here is the group photo taken by Hazen...


 




2 comments:

  1. Look's like it was a great day on the water! I really love paddling that area, but I may be a little bias...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Robert... long time... when you gonna get back at it, bud? Got that strip kayak finished yet?

    ReplyDelete