If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013: Post 61 – Last Post for the year

Well, this kayaking year is over.  In 2013 I decided to just paddle whenever I was able and ended up with my best year of kayaking since I began paddling in June of 2008.

After consulting my log book, I found that I have paddled forty-four weekends during the year, and fourteen of those I paddled on both Saturday and Sunday.  The rest of my day paddles occurred on weekdays…  And of course there were plenty of St. Philips Thursday evening practices, some pool sessions, and the Level Two Safe Kayaking Course in September.  Here is my tally for this year:

69 day paddles on the ocean (totaling 1190 kilometers)
20 Thursday practice sessions at St. Philips
9 Tuesday pool sessions
5 days for the Level Two Kayaking Course


There were four camping trips this year which accounted for fourteen of my day paddles. The first trip was a circumnavigation around New World Island and Twillingate at the end of June, which was followed by an overnight club camping trip to Pinchgut in early July.  In August a few of us went on a one-way, four day club camping trip in Trinity Bay. The forth trip for the year occurred during the Thanksgiving weekend at Gulch Pond.  The second weekend of the level two course comprised of a two night camping trip at the end of September, but I did not count the distance covered or the days on the water in my day paddle tally. 

My Nordkapp arrived in early June, so I was in it for about two-thirds of my day paddles, about half of my Thursday practices, and I used it during the level two course.  I have spent enough time in it to say it is a great kayak; I have not been disappointed with my decision to purchase it. 

I only remember capsizing two times, but did not swim, and only did two solo paddles this year.  I do not paddle alone very often, but I do like the ability to paddle at my own pace when I do decide to paddle by myself. 

I made my first all-cedar Greenland paddle this year, complete with plastic tips for protection, but I have not paddled with it yet.  I am not completely happy with the thickness of the blades so I will have to reshape it a little before putting finish on it.  I also added plastic tips to one of my existing, well-used paddles which will increase its lifespan... the ends were quite frayed from use. 

Oh yeah, I also sold my Current Designs Sirocco.  I did not have any misgivings about selling it, even though it was my first kayak and it is what I paddled and learned in for the first five years of my kayaking life.  It served me well and the new owner has an appreciation of the Sirocco, so that made it very easy to let it go.  

The group of people that I regularly paddle with are a great bunch of paddlers.  If I start listing off names I am sure to leave someone out... they know who they are.  And whether they paddled with me just once or fifty times in 2013 they have all contributed to some great experiences on the water this year.  I’ve also met a few new paddlers this year and I have been watching to see what type of paddlers they will become… perhaps we will have a few more kayakoholics among us...

Well, I do hope any avid readers of my blog have enjoyed taking the kayaking journey with me this past year.  I know I've enjoyed this year’s journey immensely. 

I wonder what paddling adventures will come my way in 2014…


2 comments:

  1. It was a good year for you Dean. No one else has been in their kayak as often or paddled the distance you have. Congratulations!

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I don't know about that Tony... I am sure there are others in Newfoundland who have paddled as much and more then we have this year... we just don't hear from them.... would be nice though if they had blogs so we could follow the experiences of others in our neck of the woods....

    ReplyDelete