If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Monday, July 7, 2014

2014: Post 21 – Ride 'em, Tony

Yesterday was windy, so Tony, Brian, Neville, Hazen, and I went to St. Philips to try to catch some surf rides.  Pictures tend to flatten things out so I tried to capture our water time in video.

Here's a short clip of Neville:




Then after a while some of the guys started doing some self rescues and rolls.  

I caught a flu bug well over a month ago and last week was the first time I was really starting to feel good.  Then I woke up with a bit of a sore throat on Sunday morning and I just wasn't in the mood to get out of my kayak and get wet, but enjoyed watching the other guys practice in the waves.  

Tony had said he woke up with a sore throat that morning as well, but it didn't stop him from jumping out of his kayak... he's one tough little so-and-so!!  Here he is doing a back deck scramble....




I had brought my GPS to St. Philips yesterday... In the two and a half hours paddling in or near the the cove it showed 9.4 kms.  Not that's not bad considering we did not go anywhere.  It also displayed a maximum speed of almost 18 kms/hr... must of been when I got on that one really good wave that made my hull hum... It was fun afternoon.


2 comments:

  1. Something screwed up with commenting so I'll try again.

    I was surprised wit the size of the waves when I was doing the back deck scramble recovery but pleased to pull it off. I should get a little faster but getting the boat turned down wave took a bit of time. I think its better to take that time rather than trying it in a broached position.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had my Sirocco I could manage the back deck scramble some of the time. With my Nordkapp I find it really tippy when I am on the back deck. But I admit I just have not spent sufficient time practicing this particular self-rescue. I always amazes me how some of you guys seem to do it so easily...

    ReplyDelete