If you just go for a paddle than you can stop thinking about wanting to go for a paddle.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

2015: Post 18 – Karmalita's first outing

This morning was the first time I had a chance to paddle the Karma RG since picking it up on Tuesday.    Unfortunately the water was fairly tame, but no matter - it was a good day to try to get the feel of paddling my new kayak.  Today was also the first time Hazen has paddled since having surgery a couple months ago.

We met at St. Philips and paddled up to Topsail beach…

A few pics to share...

On the slipway

Hazen must have been excited to be paddling as
he showed up already dressed in his drysuit.

Another picture of Hazen posing at a waterfall 

Terry checking out another waterfall

Tony


Tony getting a closer look at the RG

Hazen and Terry


While at Topsail Beach Terry’s kayak slipped down the incline on the beach and the sea tried to claim it.  Terry grabbled the closet paddle and managed to save his kayak.  The three of us stood watching the incident unfold… and of course I took a little video…




As for the RG… I like it just fine.  In this relatively short kayak I was not able keep up to the other guys in their sea kayaks, unless they held up to wait.  But it was fun to be able to get into places along the shore that I would not have been able to in my sea kayak. 


It will take a while to learn how to paddle the RG.  She is quite ‘loose’ on the water when the skeg is up, very maneuverable, which makes her fun to paddle among the rocks and tight spaces.   With the skeg deployed she tracks fairly well.  I will certainly have to learn better boat control and paddle skills in order to be a more efficient paddler in this kayak…. and by doing so I believe it will only serve to make me a better sea kayaker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment